URGENT REQUEST – I am asking you as a Democratic Party activist to register on the State Party website (www.waelectioncenter.com) to be a LD 26 delegate for purposes of selecting delegates to the National Convention.
LD 26 PCOs will vote electronically between April 26 and May 3 for LD 26 delegates from those who have registered on the State Party website. They will elect 15 delegates representing Vice President Joe Biden and 11 delegates representing Bernie Sanders. The number of delegates per Presidential candidate is based on the March 10 primary results. If you are elected to be a LD 26 delegate, you will be selecting the delegates to the National Convention, and this voting will occur electronically May 30. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there will be no in-person caucuses this year either at the LD or Congressional level.
Serving as a LD 26 delegate does NOT obligate you to attend the National Convention although you may run as a National delegate if you so choose. If there is a State Convention in June in Tacoma as originally planned, you will also be expected to attend and vote for National delegates at the Convention. At this time, we do not know if the State Convention will take place.
Here is a more detailed timeline of the process developed by the State Party to replace in-person caucuses due to COVID-19.
- Candidates for delegate nominate themselves on the State Party website: www.waelectioncenter.com. You must select one of the two Presidential candidates to represent and state why you believe you should be selected. The website is currently open for self-nominations. Registration closes on April 24th
- Precinct Committee Officers (PCOS) will select the delegates by filling out a digital ballot. PCOs themselves can run as a candidate for delegate as well as participate in voting for delegates. Voting takes place between April 26 and May 3.
- Those who are elected will be notified on May 8.
- As a LD 26 delegate, you will vote digitally May 30 for National Convention delegates from the 6th Congressional District. You will have an opportunity to nominate yourself as a Congressional level delegate if you are interested in attending the National Convention.
- In addition, you will be asked to attend the State Convention in mid-June in Tacoma unless the Convention is cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. At the Convention, you will vote for additional delegates to the National Convention and provide input into the State Platform.
We are encouraging as much participation as possible in this process. If you apply to be a delegate, there is a good chance you will be elected so be prepared to serve your Party in this most consequential Presidential election.
Chair, LD 26 Democrats